Enlarged Prostate Specialist in NYC
When you’re dealing with an enlarged prostate, you’re likely dealing with troubling symptoms, such as difficulty urinating or the inability to fully empty your bladder. Enlarged prostate specialist Hillel Marans, MD of New York City provides individualized medical care and effective testing to diagnose an enlarged prostate for men throughout the NYC area. Don’t let the symptoms of BPH negatively impact your quality of life when there are innovative solutions to help you find relief. Call Dr. Marans at (212) 206-9130 to schedule an appointment at our office today.
What is BPH?
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, or BPH, is a condition in which the prostate enlarges as men get older. BPH is a very common condition that affects over 42 million men in the US1 and over 660 million aging men worldwide.2.3 Over 40% of men in their 50s and over 70% of men in their 60s have BPH.2 While BPH is a benign condition and unrelated to prostate cancer, it can greatly affect a man’s quality of life.
As the prostate enlarges, it presses on and blocks the urethra, causing bothersome urinary symptoms. If left untreated, BPH can lead to permanent bladder damage.4
- Frequent need to urinate both day and night
- Weak or slow urinary stream
- A sense that you cannot completely empty your bladder
- Difficulty or delay in starting urination
- Urgent feeling of needing to urinate
- A urinary stream that stops and starts
Symptoms of BPH can cause loss of productivity, depression, and decreased quality of life.7
If you suffer from the above symptoms, you are not alone. BPH is the leading reason men visit a urologist.8
You can measure the severity of your BPH symptoms by taking the International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) questionnaire. Sharing this information with your physician will help them understand the severity of your symptoms.
Even watchful waiting has its risks. Bladder outlet obstruction could result in irreversible bladder damage if left untreated4
- NeoTract US Market Model estimates for 2020, data on file.
- Berry, et al., Journal of Urology 1984
- US Census Bureau international database worldwide population estimates for 2020
- Tubaro, Drugs Aging 2003
- Rosenberg, Int J Clin Pract 2007
- Vuichoud, Can J Urol 2015
- Speakman, BJUI International 2014
- IMS Health NDTI Urology Specialty Profile Report 2013
© 2021 NeoTract, Inc. All Rights Reserved. MAC01951-01 Rev B
What are the symptoms of an enlarged prostate?
The prostate is a small gland about the size of a pingpong ball that’s located deep inside the groin, between the rectum and the base of the penis. The enlargement of the prostate gland (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH) becomes more prevalent as men get older. Most men near Manhattan have continued prostate growth throughout their life.
Certain symptoms of an enlarged prostate include:
- Urgent or frequent need to urinate
- Difficulty starting urination
- Weak urine stream
- Inability to completely empty your bladder
- More frequent urination during the night (nocturia)
- Your urethra passes through the center of your prostate and prostate enlargement can block the flow of urine.
Some less common symptoms of an enlarged prostate include blood in the urine, urinary tract infections, and an inability to urinate.
What are my chances of having problems with BPH?
It’s estimated that about half of men over age 50 are affected by problems related to BPH. After the age of 80, that number grows up to 90 percent of men.
Other factors that increase your risk of BPH include:
- Family history of prostate problems in a brother or father
- Personal medical history of diabetes or heart disease
- Use of certain medications, such as beta-blockers for high blood pressure
Request An Appointment in NYC Today!
Dr. Hillel Marans is a board-certified urologist with extensive experience treating BPH. He will take the time to fully evaluate your symptoms in order to determine the treatment option that is right for you. Call Dr. Marans at (212) 206-9130 to schedule an appointment at our office in Manhattan.